Monday, May 13, 8:15 a.m.
Five Star Stadium
Congratulations! We hope the information contained in this brochure will assist you and your family in planning for the various activities surrounding commencement. Please read carefully the following statements concerning your degree requirements and eligibility to participate in the graduation ceremony. Receipt of this brochure does not certify the completion of degree requirements nor does it confirm eligibility to march in the graduation exercises.
- Students who plan to participate in the ceremony must have indicated this intention on the application for graduation submitted to the Office of the Registrar. All students who have completed all degree requirements and have properly informed the Office of the Registrar by the published deadline of their plan to participate, may march in the ceremony. Students who will not finish requirements by the end of the spring semester may march only if they have been approved by the Office of the Registrar after submitting a formal petition (see Mercer Catalog). Graduate students should contact their school/college concerning eligibility to participate.
- Honors printed in the program are based on grades earned through the fall semester preceding the ceremony. Refer to the Mercer Catalog for information on the calculation of University honors.
- The traditional cap and gown are considered formal academic attire for commencement. Mercer has provided cords and medallions to indicate specific academic honors.
- A degree will be awarded only to students who have satisfied all requirements of the University and the school/college certifying the degree.
- Diploma Covers will be distributed to all participants during the ceremony. Students who complete all degree requirements during the spring semester, and have no outstanding financial or loan obligations to the University, will receive diplomas after all requirements have been certified as complete. Students who met requirements in a previous term have already received diplomas. For students not eligible to receive a diploma or completing after the spring semester, diplomas will be mailed to the permanent home address after degree requirements are completed and certified.
- After degrees are awarded, graduates are eligible to order, at their expense, an oversized 14”X17” diploma (covers are not available). Information and order forms are available from the Office of the Registrar.
If you have any questions concerning the completion of your degree requirements and/or whether you may participate in the commencement ceremony, please contact the Office of the Registrar at (800) 342-0841 or (478) 301-2494.
Schedule of Events
Friday, May 10, 2019
10 a.m. – ROTC Commissioning Ceremony, President's Dining Room, University Center
Sunday, May 12, 2019
5 p.m. – Baccalaureate Service, Willingham Auditorium
Monday, May 13, 2019
8:15 a.m. – Commencement, Five Star Stadium
The Baccalaureate, a special worship service honoring all graduates of the University, will be held on Sunday, May 12, 2019, at 5 p.m. in the Willingham Auditorium. Graduates wear caps and gowns. Contact the Office of Student Affairs at (478) 301-2685 for more information.
Commencement will be held on Monday, May 13, 2019, at 8:15 a.m. in the Five Star Stadium. The ceremony will last approximately two and a half hours. Please refer to the “Important Information for Degree Candidates” section concerning eligibility to participate in the graduation exercises.
Recommended Attire: Men should wear dark slacks, dark shoes, and a shirt with a white collar. Women should wear comfortable dark dress shoes (suitable for walking on pavement and lawn) with a dress or skirt that does not show below the gown, or dark slacks and a blouse.
Graduates must arrive at the University Center by 7 a.m. and proceed to check-in at Hawkins Arena. Graduates will begin the processional walk from Hawkins Arena to Five Star Stadium at 7:50 a.m. Graduates must leave personal belongings with relatives or friends attending the ceremony. The University Center will not be secured during the ceremony. Guests should go directly to the seating areas at the Five Star Stadium and be seated by 8 a.m.
Guests who prefer a different venue may watch live video of the ceremony in the School of Medicine Auditorium and the Science and Engineering Auditorium. The ceremony will be streamed live and can be viewed online at the Mercer website, mercer.edu.
NOTE: No tickets are needed for the commencement ceremony. We do, however, ask that each graduate limit your number of guests to 10. In the event of severe weather (see Severe Weather section for more information), tickets will be required for admission. Tickets will be limited to three (3) per graduate. Information regarding tickets will be sent separately if the ceremony is moved.
Accessibility and Accommodation Information
Families and guests with mobility impairments may be dropped off and picked up at two designated areas located at Gate 5 and Gate 2. Drivers should display a handicap tag or identify with staff that they are using the accessibility drop-off/pick-up for a guest with mobility impairment.
Graduation Day parking for accessibility will be available in both parking lots beside Drake Field House. The access to these areas will be permitted with a handicap hangtag or plate. First come, first serve. Once the designated ADA lots are full, additional parking is provided in the general area with shuttles to bring guests to the venue.
Complementary Wheel Chairs
Mercer University has collaborated with Scott Pharmacy to provide wheel chairs to be used by guests. Guests transported with the chairs will be assisted by family members and Mercer staff will accompany to return the chair to the drop off location for the next guest. Following the completion of the ceremony guests may again use the chairs to assist guests to the drop off station.
Accessible seating is available throughout the stadium with companion seats:
- East Stands – Sections, 111, 113, 115
- West Stands – Section 105, 105, 104, 103
Additional seating for limited mobility and accommodation needs other than mobility are designated in two areas:
- East Stands – Section 110
- West Stands – Section 107
For questions and additional information, please contact Katie Johnson at (478) 301-2778 or email@example.com. You can also find graduation information on the Office of Access webpage access.mercer.edu. Please make requests for any accommodation including but not limited to: seating, closed-captioning and Interpreting or other by April 22, 2019 to ensure access. We will continue to make a good faith effort to provide accommodations received after this date. All seats with handicap placards are reserved for individuals with a disability and one companion.
Some local accommodations are listed for your information. Contact the hotels/motels for details.
- 1842 Inn – 1 (800) 336-1842, (478) 741-1842
- Baymont Inn – (478) 474-4989
- Best Western Riverside – 1 (800) 528-1234, (478) 743-6311
- Comfort Inn & Suites – (478) 757-8688
- Country Inn & Suites – (478) 803-8300
- Courtyard by Marriott – (478) 477-8899
- Days Inn – (478) 781-4343
- Econo Lodge – (478) 405-0106, (478) 746-6221
- Hampton Inn & Suites – (478) 803-5000
- Hilton Garden Inn (Mercer Campus) – (478) 741-5527
- Holiday Inn – (478) 803-8200
- Home 2 Suites by Hilton – (478) 803-5300
- Homewood Suites by Hilton – (478) 477-9776
- La Quinta Inn & Suites – (478) 475-0206
- Macon Inn – (478) 746-3561
- Macon Marriott City Center – (478) 621-5300
- Quality Inn & Suites – (478) 474-4000
- Red Roof Inn – (478) 477-7477
- Residence Inn Macon – (478) 475-4280
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott – (478) 803-9100
- Towne Place Suites – (478) 812-8522
- United Inn & Suites – (478) 745-8521
- Wingate Inn – (478) 476-8100
Mercer Bookstore/Caps, Gowns, and Hoods
All students will be able to pick up regalia starting April 22nd. For additional information, please feel free to contact the Mercer Macon Bookstore at (478) 301-2945. Check current Mercer Macon Bookstore hours at: www.shopmercerbears.com. The Bear Market and Bear Wear will be open at 7 a.m. on the day of commencement.
The academic regalia will be yours to keep. It is important that caps, gowns, and hoods be uniform in appearance. It will not be possible to “borrow” regalia from previous graduates or to purchase from a different source other than Herff Jones as it will not match. Try on and press your academic regalia before the ceremony.
Herff Jones Company
The Herff Jones Company will be happy to assist you with the ordering of your ring or personalized announcements. You may go online for more information at: herff.ly/mercer.
If there has ever been an occasion when your name has been mispronounced, please prevent this from happening during the graduation ceremony by calling Dr. Weintraut at (478) 301-2894 between Monday, April 22nd and Monday, May 6th. Leave a message containing your school affiliation, the correct pronunciation of your name and, where necessary, the correct spelling of your name. Please pronounce your name twice, slowly and clearly. It is not necessary to leave a message if your name is fairly common, such as “James Miller,“ “Mary Smith,” or “Pat Jones.”
A photographer from GradImages® will be at your ceremony to take a candid photograph of you at your special moment of recognition. You will receive a free proof of this photo in the mail or by email within 5 to 7 days following the ceremony. After your graduation, you may order photographs online at www.gradimages.com or by calling (800) 261-2576.
You can also view or purchase event images at: http://bit.ly/19mucommencement.
In the event of severe weather, Commencement may be delayed or moved to Hawkins Arena. If the weather is uncertain, you may check the status by calling the University Hotline at (478) 301-5335. The Hotline will have regular updates to announce any delays or changes due to weather alerts.
Directions to Macon Campus
From I-75 South (from Atlanta): Take I-75 South to Exit #163 (Mercer University Drive). Take a left at the top of the exit ramp onto Mercer University Drive and cross over I-75. There are two entrances to campus. Turn left at the first traffic light onto Stadium Drive or left at the second traffic light onto College Street (Mobility Impaired Parking is accessed from both entrances).
From I-75 North (from Florida): Take I-75 North to Exit #163 (Mercer University Drive). Take a right at the top of the exit ramp onto Mercer University Drive. There are two entrances to campus. Turn left at the first traffic light onto Stadium Drive or left at the second traffic light onto College Street (Mobility Impaired Parking is accessed from both entrances).
Parking: Parking is available throughout the campus. Parking for accessibility will be available in both parking lots beside Drake Field House. The access to these areas will be permitted with a handicap hangtag or plate. First come, first serve. Once the designated ADA lots are full, additional parking is provided in the general area with shuttles to bring guests to the venue.
Mercer requests all participants and guests to respect the importance of this occasion and to treat it with the proper decorum. All cell phones should be turned off or on vibrate. Alcoholic beverages are not allowed in the Five Star Stadium. All areas of the stadium are smoke and tobacco free. Guests are not allowed on the field.
For security reasons, bags will be searched upon entering the stadium. Knives, firearms or weapons of any type are not allowed.
NOTE: The following items are not permitted in Five Star Stadium: Outside food or drink, coolers, umbrellas, lawn chairs, backpacks and large bags, banners, flags, food or drink containers, baby strollers/carriages, seatbacks larger than 17 inches wide, tripods and/or large photographic equipment, home video cameras, laser devices, drones, balloons, confetti cannons, or large gifts for graduates that can obstruct the view during the ceremony.